How Big Is Drogon Compared To Vhagar: Unveiling the Dragons of Westeros
Dragons have always captivated our imagination, their colossal size and awe-inspiring power making them mythical creatures that transcend fiction. In the vast world of George R.R. Martin’s “A Song of Ice and Fire” series, two dragons have stood out among the rest – Drogon and Vhagar. These legendary beasts have enthralled fans with their grandeur and ferocity. In this article, we delve into the comparison between the size of Drogon and Vhagar, along with seven unique facts about these majestic creatures.
Comparing the Size of Drogon and Vhagar:
Drogon and Vhagar, both Targaryen dragons, have left an indelible mark on the history of Westeros. While their size is not explicitly mentioned in the books, we can infer their dimensions based on descriptions and references. Here’s how Drogon, the dragon of Daenerys Targaryen, matches up against Vhagar, the dragon of Aegon the Conqueror’s sister-wife Visenya Targaryen:
1. Size: Drogon is believed to have a wingspan of around 150 feet, making him the largest known dragon in the series. Vhagar, on the other hand, had a wingspan of approximately 120 feet, making her slightly smaller in comparison.
2. Firepower: Both Drogon and Vhagar possess formidable firepower. Drogon’s flames are described as black, while Vhagar’s are said to be pale blue. Their ability to unleash destruction sets them apart from other dragons in the series.
3. Age: Drogon is the youngest of Daenerys’ dragons, hatched from a petrified dragon’s egg. Vhagar, on the other hand, was one of the original three dragons that Aegon the Conqueror brought to Westeros. This age gap might explain Drogon’s larger size, as dragons tend to grow throughout their lives.
4. Scars and Battle Experience: Both dragons have faced battles and carry scars from their encounters. Drogon fought in the Battle of Meereen and was injured by a scorpion bolt. Vhagar, however, was involved in several major battles, including the Field of Fire, where she played a pivotal role in Aegon’s conquest.
5. Riders: While Drogon was ridden by Daenerys Targaryen, Vhagar was mounted by Visenya Targaryen. The bond between dragon and rider is crucial, as it strengthens their connection and enhances their cooperation in battle.
6. Personality: Drogon is known for his fierce and wild nature. He has a strong bond with Daenerys, but his unpredictable behavior has caused havoc. Vhagar, on the other hand, was described as being more disciplined and obedient, making her an invaluable asset to Aegon the Conqueror.
7. Legacy: Drogon’s legacy is yet to be fully realized, as the series is yet to be completed. However, his escapades and the destruction he has caused in Essos and Westeros are well-documented. Vhagar’s legacy, on the other hand, is etched in history, as she was one of the great dragons of the Targaryen dynasty and participated in numerous battles.
15 FAQs about Drogon and Vhagar:
1. Were Drogon and Vhagar the only dragons in the Targaryen dynasty?
No, the Targaryens had several dragons throughout their dynasty, but Drogon and Vhagar are two of the most prominent.
2. How did Drogon and Vhagar die?
Drogon’s fate is unknown, while Vhagar was killed during the Dance of Dragons civil war.
3. Can dragons breathe fire at will?
Dragons can breathe fire, but it requires internal biological processes and cannot be unleashed continuously.
4. Are there any other dragons in the series?
Yes, other dragons, such as Rhaegal and Viserion, also play significant roles in the story.
5. Can dragons grow indefinitely?
Dragons continue to grow throughout their lives, but their growth rate slows down as they age.
6. How long do dragons live?
Dragons have an exceptionally long lifespan, potentially living for several centuries.
7. Are dragons intelligent creatures?
Dragons are highly intelligent and can form strong bonds with their riders.
8. Do dragons have genders?
Yes, dragons have distinct genders, and their reproductive cycle is similar to other reptiles.
9. Can dragons be tamed by anyone?
No, dragons require a strong bond and trust with their rider to be effectively tamed.
10. Can dragons be killed by conventional weapons?
Dragons have thick scales that provide some protection, but they can be killed by powerful weapons like scorpion bolts or dragon glass.
11. Are dragons vulnerable to magic?
Dragons are inherently magical creatures, and while some forms of magic can influence them, they are not easily controlled.
12. Can dragons fly long distances?
Dragons are known for their impressive flying abilities and can cover vast distances.
13. Are there any dragon eggs left in the series?
The fate of the remaining dragon eggs is unknown, but it is speculated that there may be more hidden somewhere in the world.
14. Can dragons communicate with each other?
Dragons communicate through a combination of vocalizations, body language, and telepathy with their riders.
15. Are there any dragon species other than the ones mentioned?
In the series, only the Targaryen dragons are mentioned, but there may be other dragon species in the world of “A Song of Ice and Fire.”
Dragons have always been a central aspect of the “A Song of Ice and Fire” series, captivating readers with their sheer size, power, and mystique. The comparison between Drogon and Vhagar highlights the evolution of dragons throughout the Targaryen dynasty. As we eagerly await the conclusion of the series, the legacy of these formidable creatures continues to enthrall fans, leaving us in awe of their colossal presence.