Iron Maiden Book Of Souls Tour Review: A Legendary Journey
Iron Maiden, the British heavy metal band known for their electrifying performances and iconic music, embarked on their Book of Souls Tour in 2016. This tour was in support of their sixteenth studio album, “The Book of Souls,” which had been released the previous year. The band’s loyal fan base eagerly awaited this tour, and it proved to be a legendary journey filled with unforgettable moments and exceptional performances.
The Book of Souls Tour spanned over two years, covering six continents and 39 countries. Iron Maiden brought their unique brand of heavy metal to fans across the globe, delivering an awe-inspiring spectacle that left audiences in sheer amazement. The band’s dedication to their craft and the energy they exuded on stage were unparalleled and truly captivating.
One of the most remarkable aspects of the Book of Souls Tour was its stage design. The centerpiece of the stage was a gigantic Mayan-themed pyramid, complete with impressive visuals and pyrotechnics. This visually stunning setup perfectly complemented the band’s epic music and created a truly immersive experience for the audience.
Iron Maiden’s performance on this tour was nothing short of extraordinary. Despite the band members being in their 50s and 60s, they showed no signs of slowing down. Lead vocalist Bruce Dickinson’s powerful voice soared through the venues, captivating the crowd with his energetic stage presence. Guitarists Dave Murray, Adrian Smith, and Janick Gers delivered flawless guitar solos, while bassist Steve Harris and drummer Nicko McBrain provided a solid rhythm section that drove the music forward with precision and intensity.
The setlist for the Book of Souls Tour was a perfect blend of new material and classic hits. The band played several tracks from their latest album, including the epic opener “If Eternity Should Fail” and the title track “The Book of Souls.” They also treated fans to beloved classics like “The Trooper,” “Fear of the Dark,” and “Run to the Hills.” Each song was performed with passion and skill, creating an electrifying atmosphere that had the crowd singing along at the top of their lungs.
Unique Facts about the Book of Souls Tour:
1. Guinness World Record: Iron Maiden’s Book of Souls Tour holds the record for the longest tour by a metal band. It lasted for 117 shows and spanned over two years.
2. Ed Force One: The band’s custom Boeing 747 named “Ed Force One” was used to transport the band, crew, and equipment during the tour. The plane featured Iron Maiden’s iconic mascot, Eddie, prominently displayed on its fuselage.
3. Bruce Dickinson’s Cancer Battle: During the tour, lead vocalist Bruce Dickinson was diagnosed with tongue cancer. However, he continued to perform and completed the tour before undergoing successful treatment.
4. Epic Stage Props: Alongside the Mayan pyramid, the stage also featured a giant Eddie puppet that interacted with the band members during certain songs, adding a theatrical element to the performances.
5. Legacy of the Beast: The success of the Book of Souls Tour inspired Iron Maiden to create a new tour, the Legacy of the Beast Tour, which kicked off in 2018. This tour incorporated elements from the band’s rich history and mythology, captivating fans once again.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
1. How long was the Book of Souls Tour?
The Book of Souls Tour lasted for over two years, from February 2016 to August 2017.
2. How many countries did Iron Maiden visit during the tour?
Iron Maiden visited 39 countries across six continents during the Book of Souls Tour.
3. What was the inspiration behind the stage design?
The stage design was inspired by Mayan culture and featured a massive pyramid as its centerpiece.
4. Did Iron Maiden perform any songs from their previous albums?
Yes, Iron Maiden performed a mix of new songs from “The Book of Souls” album and classic hits from their extensive discography.
5. How did Bruce Dickinson manage to perform while battling cancer?
Bruce Dickinson’s cancer was diagnosed towards the end of the tour, but he chose to continue performing before undergoing treatment. His determination and love for the fans kept him going.
6. How many shows did Iron Maiden perform during the tour?
Iron Maiden performed a staggering 117 shows during the Book of Souls Tour.
7. Did the band face any challenges during the tour?
Yes, the band faced challenges such as technical difficulties, logistical issues, and Bruce Dickinson’s cancer diagnosis. However, they overcame these obstacles and delivered exceptional performances.
8. How did fans react to the tour?
Fans were ecstatic about the Book of Souls Tour, praising Iron Maiden for their incredible energy and showmanship.
9. Did Iron Maiden break any records during the tour?
Yes, Iron Maiden holds the Guinness World Record for the longest tour by a metal band due to their extensive Book of Souls Tour.
10. What other highlights were there during the tour?
Apart from the stunning stage design and powerful performances, the tour also featured the band’s custom Boeing 747 plane, Ed Force One.
11. Did Iron Maiden release any live recordings from the tour?
Yes, Iron Maiden released a live album and concert film titled “The Book of Souls: Live Chapter,” which captured the band’s electrifying performances during the tour.
12. Will Iron Maiden embark on another tour in the future?
While there are no official announcements yet, Iron Maiden has expressed their desire to continue touring, bringing their music to fans around the world.
13. How did the Book of Souls Tour impact Iron Maiden’s legacy?
The Book of Souls Tour solidified Iron Maiden’s status as one of the greatest and most enduring heavy metal bands of all time. It showcased their unparalleled musicianship, dedication to their craft, and unwavering passion for their fans.