Joel McCrea was a renowned American actor who graced the silver screen during the Golden Age of Hollywood. With his charismatic presence and remarkable talent, McCrea carved a niche for himself in the industry, earning a reputation as one of the most respected actors of his time. Throughout his career, he appeared in over 90 films, leaving an indelible mark on the world of cinema. Today, we delve into Joel McCrea’s net worth at the time of his passing, along with five unique facts about his life and career.
Joel McCrea’s Net Worth When He Died
When Joel McCrea passed away on October 20, 1990, he left behind an impressive net worth of $10 million. This accumulation of wealth was the result of his successful acting career, spanning over three decades. McCrea’s talent and dedication to his craft allowed him to command substantial paychecks for his roles, making him one of the highest-paid actors of his time.
Five Unique Facts about Joel McCrea
1. Rancher at Heart: Despite his Hollywood success, McCrea remained deeply connected to his rural roots. He owned a ranch in New Mexico, where he spent his free time engaging in his passion for cattle breeding and horse riding. This love for the land and animals was a testament to his down-to-earth nature.
2. Sports Enthusiast: McCrea was an avid sports enthusiast, particularly in the realm of competitive polo. He actively participated in polo matches and even co-founded the Riviera Polo Club in Los Angeles. His love for the sport extended beyond his own involvement, as he also supported and sponsored numerous polo events.
3. Military Service: During World War II, McCrea put his acting career on hold and enlisted in the United States Army Air Corps. He served as a flight instructor, training new pilots throughout the war. His dedication to his country earned him the rank of Colonel, and he was later awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for his contributions.
4. Long-Lasting Marriage: McCrea had a rare and enduring Hollywood marriage. He tied the knot with actress Frances Dee in 1933, and their union lasted until his passing in 1990. This 57-year-long partnership was a testament to their deep love and commitment to one another.
5. Selective Roles: Despite being offered numerous high-profile roles, McCrea was known for being highly selective in his choice of projects. He often turned down roles that didn’t align with his personal values or those that he found lacking depth or substance. This commitment to quality over quantity allowed him to maintain a consistent reputation as a talented actor throughout his career.
15 FAQs about Joel McCrea:
1. When was Joel McCrea born?
Joel McCrea was born on November 5, 1905, in South Pasadena, California.
2. What was Joel McCrea’s breakout role?
McCrea’s breakout role came in the 1930 film, “The Silver Horde.”
3. How many films did McCrea appear in throughout his career?
Joel McCrea appeared in a total of 93 films.
4. Did McCrea receive any awards for his acting?
Though he was highly regarded, McCrea never received an Academy Award nomination for his performances.
5. Did McCrea have any children?
Yes, McCrea had three children with his wife Frances Dee: Jody, David, and Peter.
6. What was McCrea’s last film?
McCrea’s final film was “Mustang Country” in 1976.
7. Did McCrea ever work with renowned director Alfred Hitchcock?
No, McCrea never collaborated with Alfred Hitchcock on any films.
8. What made McCrea stand out as an actor?
McCrea’s natural charm, versatility, and ability to portray both heroic and comedic characters set him apart from his peers.
9. Did McCrea ever win any awards?
McCrea received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1960 for his contributions to the film industry.
10. How did McCrea pass away?
Joel McCrea passed away on October 20, 1990, at the age of 84 due to pneumonia.
11. Was McCrea ever involved in politics?
Although he had conservative political views, McCrea never actively pursued a political career.
12. Did McCrea serve in the military during World War II?
Yes, McCrea served as a flight instructor in the United States Army Air Corps during World War II.
13. What was McCrea’s most iconic role?
McCrea’s portrayal of Wyatt Earp in the 1957 film “The Gunfight at the O.K. Corral” is often considered one of his most iconic roles.
14. Did McCrea ever receive any honorary awards?
Yes, McCrea received the Golden Boot Award in 1976 for his contributions to the Western genre.
15. What legacy did McCrea leave behind?
Joel McCrea left behind a lasting legacy as a talented actor and a genuine person known for his integrity and values in an industry often characterized by excess and superficiality.
In conclusion, Joel McCrea’s net worth at the time of his death was $10 million, reflecting the success he achieved throughout his illustrious career. Alongside his financial accomplishments, McCrea’s life was filled with unique experiences, from his love for ranching and sports to his military service and enduring marriage. These factors, combined with his selective approach to roles, solidified McCrea’s status as a Hollywood icon. His contributions to the film industry and his memorable performances will forever be remembered, ensuring his place among the legends of cinema.