Large And Heavy Books Crossword Clue: Unraveling the Mystery
Crossword puzzles have long been a favorite pastime for many, stimulating our minds and challenging our vocabulary. While most crossword clues are fairly straightforward, there are some that require a bit more thought and research. One such clue that often stumps crossword enthusiasts is “Large and heavy books.” Let’s dive into this intriguing clue and unravel the mystery behind it.
The crossword clue “Large and heavy books” typically refers to the word “tomes.” A tome, by definition, is a large, heavy, or scholarly book. It is derived from the Latin word “tomus,” meaning a section or a volume of a larger work. These books are usually associated with academic or reference materials, often containing in-depth knowledge on specific subjects.
Now that we have deciphered the crossword clue, here are five unique facts about large and heavy books:
1. Gutenberg Bible: The Gutenberg Bible, printed by Johannes Gutenberg in the 1450s, is considered the first major book printed using movable type in the Western world. It is an example of a large and heavy book, with each page measuring about 16.5 x 11.5 inches and weighing around 14 pounds.
2. Encyclopédie: The Encyclopédie, published in the 18th century by Denis Diderot and Jean le Rond d’Alembert, is one of the most famous large and heavy books in history. It consisted of 28 volumes and aimed to compile and disseminate knowledge on various subjects.
3. Codex Gigas: Also known as the “Devil’s Bible,” the Codex Gigas is the largest medieval manuscript in the world. It measures 36 x 20.5 x 8.7 inches and weighs around 165 pounds. It is believed to have been written by a single scribe in the early 13th century and contains a variety of texts, including the Bible.
4. The Oxford English Dictionary: The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) is another example of a large and heavy book. It is a comprehensive dictionary of the English language, consisting of 20 volumes and weighing over 137 pounds. The OED provides detailed definitions, etymologies, and usage examples for over 600,000 words.
5. The Codex Sinaiticus: The Codex Sinaiticus is one of the oldest surviving Christian manuscripts, dating back to the 4th century. It is written in Greek and contains the complete text of the New Testament, as well as portions of the Old Testament. This large and heavy book measures approximately 15 x 13 inches and weighs around 13.5 pounds.
Now, let’s address some frequently asked questions about large and heavy books:
1. What are some other words that can be used instead of “tomes”?
– Volumes, tomes, books, or opuses.
2. Do all large and heavy books contain scholarly content?
– No, while many large and heavy books are scholarly, some may also be fiction novels or art books.
3. How do large and heavy books differ from regular-sized books?
– Large and heavy books are typically oversized, containing more pages and covering extensive subjects.
4. Are there any modern large and heavy books?
– Yes, some modern examples include art books, atlases, and encyclopedias.
5. Are all large and heavy books hardcovers?
– No, some may be paperback, but they are still considered large and heavy due to their size and content.
6. How can I find large and heavy books for my research?
– Libraries, online bookstores, and academic institutions are good sources to find large and heavy books.
7. Are large and heavy books more expensive than regular-sized books?
– Generally, large and heavy books tend to be pricier due to their size, production costs, and specialized content.
8. Can large and heavy books be found in e-book format?
– Yes, some large and heavy books have digital versions available for e-readers or tablets.
9. Are there any famous large and heavy books in fiction?
– “War and Peace” by Leo Tolstoy and “Infinite Jest” by David Foster Wallace are examples of large and heavy fiction novels.
10. What is the advantage of reading large and heavy books?
– Large and heavy books often provide extensive knowledge and in-depth analysis on specific subjects.
11. How do large and heavy books impact crossword puzzles?
– Large and heavy books are often used as clues to indicate the word “tomes” in crossword puzzles.
12. Are there any specific genres associated with large and heavy books?
– Large and heavy books can cover a wide range of genres, including history, science, literature, and philosophy.
13. Can large and heavy books be used as decorative pieces?
– Yes, many people use large and heavy books as decorative elements in libraries, offices, or home bookshelves.
In conclusion, large and heavy books, also known as tomes, have played a significant role in the world of literature and knowledge. They provide extensive information on various subjects and have become iconic in their own right. Whether you enjoy reading them or simply admire their presence, these books have surely left an indelible mark in the literary world.