Movies Like Burlesque On Netflix: A Glittering World of Music and Dance
If you’re a fan of dazzling musicals and the allure of burlesque, then you’re in for a treat. Netflix offers a fantastic selection of movies that capture the magic and glamour of the stage, just like the beloved film “Burlesque.” From toe-tapping dance numbers to mesmerizing performances, these movies will transport you to a world of music, dance, and the pursuit of dreams. Here are some top picks to enjoy on Netflix, plus a few unique facts that will make your movie experience even more fascinating.
1. “Moulin Rouge!” (2001) – Directed by Baz Luhrmann, this visually stunning masterpiece is a must-watch for any fan of “Burlesque.” Starring Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor, this tale of love, passion, and ambition is set in the bohemian underworld of Paris’ Moulin Rouge cabaret.
2. “Chicago” (2002) – Based on the hit Broadway musical, this Academy Award-winning film is a dazzling tale of murder, fame, and corruption in Jazz Age Chicago. With an all-star cast including Renée Zellweger, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Richard Gere, “Chicago” will have you singing and dancing along.
3. “Cabaret” (1972) – Set in 1931 Berlin, this iconic musical follows the intertwined lives of singer Sally Bowles (played by Liza Minnelli) and an American writer (played by Michael York) against the backdrop of the rise of Nazism. Filled with unforgettable songs and captivating performances, “Cabaret” is a true classic.
4. “All That Jazz” (1979) – This semi-autobiographical film by Bob Fosse offers a mesmerizing and often surreal glimpse into the life of a director/choreographer played by Roy Scheider. As he balances his personal life and the demands of his work, the film delves into the dark side of show business.
5. “Dreamgirls” (2006) – Inspired by the rise of Motown and the Supremes, “Dreamgirls” tells the story of a 1960s girl group and their struggle for fame. With an incredible cast including Beyoncé, Jennifer Hudson, and Jamie Foxx, this film is a powerhouse of soulful performances and show-stopping musical numbers.
Now, let’s dive into some unique facts about the world of burlesque and musicals:
1. The term “burlesque” originated in the 17th century in Italy and referred to a form of theater that used humor and satire to mock serious works.
2. “Burlesque” as we know it today became popular in the United States in the late 19th century, combining elements of comedy, vaudeville, and striptease.
3. The legendary Moulin Rouge cabaret in Paris opened its doors in 1889 and is still entertaining audiences with its dazzling shows to this day.
4. Liza Minnelli’s iconic portrayal of Sally Bowles in “Cabaret” earned her an Academy Award for Best Actress, making her the first person to win an Oscar for a role in a musical.
5. Bob Fosse, the director of “All That Jazz,” was a renowned choreographer known for his unique style, characterized by angular movements and provocative sensuality.
Now, let’s address some frequently asked questions about these movies:
Q1. Are these movies suitable for all ages?
A1. While some movies may have adult themes and content, most are suitable for a mature audience. It’s always best to check the rating and content warnings before watching.
Q2. Can I expect breathtaking dance numbers in these movies?
A2. Absolutely! These movies are known for their captivating dance sequences, choreography, and visually stunning performances.
Q3. Are there any real-life burlesque performers featured in these movies?
A3. While the movies may not directly feature real-life performers, they are often inspired by the glittering world of burlesque and pay homage to its rich history.
Q4. Do these movies have memorable soundtracks?
A4. Yes! These movies are known for their unforgettable songs and soundtracks, which will have you singing along and tapping your feet.
Q5. Are there any other movies similar to “Burlesque” that you recommend?
A5. Absolutely! In addition to the movies mentioned above, also consider watching “The Greatest Showman” (2017), “A Star is Born” (2018), and “La La Land” (2016).
Q6. Are there any documentaries about burlesque available on Netflix?
A6. Yes, Netflix offers several documentaries that explore the history and artistry of burlesque. Check out “Behind the Burly Q” and “Burlesque: Heart of the Glitter Tribe.”
Q7. Can I find any TV shows about burlesque on Netflix?
A7. While there are no TV shows solely dedicated to burlesque on Netflix, you may find some shows or series that feature burlesque-inspired performances or characters.
Q8. Are any of these movies based on true stories?
A8. Some movies, such as “Chicago” and “Dreamgirls,” are loosely based on real events and individuals, while others are fictional stories set in the world of burlesque.
Q9. Can I expect elaborate costumes and stage designs in these movies?
A9. Absolutely! These movies are known for their extravagant costumes, stunning stage designs, and attention to detail, which add to the overall visual spectacle.
Q10. Are there any foreign films that delve into the world of burlesque?
A10. Yes, you can explore foreign films like “Tournée” (2010) from France, “Burlesque Fairytales” (2009) from the UK, and “The Burlesque Assassins” (2012) from Canada.
Q11. Are there any animated movies that incorporate burlesque elements?
A11. While not specifically focused on burlesque, the animated film “Sausage Party” (2016) includes a memorable burlesque-inspired musical number.
Q12. Can I watch these movies with my family?
A12. Although some movies may contain mature themes, there are several options that can be enjoyed with the whole family. Consider films like “Moulin Rouge!” and “The Greatest Showman.”
Q13. Are there any movies that specifically explore the history of burlesque?
A13. Yes, the documentary “Behind the Burly Q” provides an in-depth look into the history and evolution of burlesque, featuring interviews with legendary performers.
Q14. Can I find any movies or shows that showcase contemporary burlesque performances?
A14. Yes, Netflix offers “Burlesque: Heart of the Glitter Tribe,” a documentary that follows the lives and performances of modern-day burlesque artists.
Q15. Are there any movies that combine burlesque with other genres, such as horror or comedy?
A15. Yes, “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” (1975) is a cult classic that combines elements of burlesque, horror, and comedy, offering a unique and unforgettable experience.
So, grab your popcorn, dim the lights, and let these movies transport you to a glittering world of music and dance. Whether you’re a fan of burlesque, musicals, or simply love a good spectacle, these films on Netflix are sure to entertain and enchant you. Immerse yourself in the magic of the stage, the power of music, and the artistry of the performers, and let your dreams take center stage.