Movies Like Everest on Netflix: A Thrilling Adventure on the Big Screen
Movies have always been a source of entertainment, allowing us to escape reality and immerse ourselves in different worlds. One genre that particularly captures our imagination is adventure films. Among the various adventurous movies out there, “Everest” stands out as a gripping tale of human courage and resilience. If you’re a fan of this movie and are looking for similar films to watch, Netflix has plenty to offer. In this article, we will explore movies like “Everest” available on Netflix, along with five unique facts about the film.
Movies like “Everest” on Netflix:
1. The Grey (2011): Starring Liam Neeson, this survival thriller follows a group of oil-rig workers who must fight for their lives after their plane crashes in the Alaskan wilderness. Battling harsh weather conditions and a pack of hungry wolves, they display the same determination and will to survive as the climbers in “Everest.”
2. The Impossible (2012): Based on a true story, this film depicts a family’s struggle to reunite after being separated during the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami. Just like “Everest,” it showcases the indomitable spirit of humans in the face of natural disasters.
3. 127 Hours (2010): Directed by Danny Boyle, this intense biographical survival film tells the story of Aron Ralston, a mountaineer who becomes trapped in a canyon after a boulder pins his arm. Ralston’s incredible journey of self-discovery and survival will keep you on the edge of your seat, much like the climbers in “Everest.”
4. Alive (1993): Based on the 1972 Andes flight disaster, this film recounts the harrowing true story of a Uruguayan rugby team’s struggle to survive after their plane crashes in the snowy mountains. Like “Everest,” it explores the limits of human endurance and the unbreakable bonds formed in dire circumstances.
5. Touching the Void (2003): A gripping documentary-drama, this film recreates the real-life story of two climbers who face near-death experiences while attempting to scale a treacherous mountain in the Peruvian Andes. The combination of stunning visuals and heart-pounding narrative makes it a must-watch for fans of adventure movies like “Everest.”
Unique Facts About “Everest”:
1. The film was shot on location in Nepal and the Italian Alps to capture the authenticity of the mountainous landscapes. The crew faced extreme weather conditions and altitude sickness during the shoot.
2. The actors underwent rigorous training to prepare for their roles as climbers. They worked with professional mountaineers and learned various techniques, including ice climbing and using oxygen masks.
3. The film was inspired by the 1996 Mount Everest disaster, in which eight climbers lost their lives during a blizzard. The events depicted in the movie are based on Jon Krakauer’s book “Into Thin Air” and other survivor accounts.
4. “Everest” utilized cutting-edge visual effects to create the illusion of the climbers being on the actual mountain. The filmmakers used a combination of real footage, green screen technology, and CGI to achieve the desired realism.
5. The film’s director, Baltasar Kormákur, was determined to portray the emotional journey of the climbers accurately. To ensure authenticity, he interviewed survivors of the 1996 disaster and incorporated their experiences into the script.
1. Is “Everest” based on a true story?
Yes, the film is based on the events of the 1996 Mount Everest disaster.
2. Are there any documentaries about Mount Everest available on Netflix?
Yes, Netflix offers several documentaries about Mount Everest, including “Sherpa” and “The Wildest Dream.”
3. Are there any other movies based on Jon Krakauer’s book “Into Thin Air”?
No, “Everest” is the only major film adaptation of the book to date.
4. Is “Everest” suitable for children?
The film is rated PG-13 for intense peril and disturbing images. Parental guidance is recommended.
5. Are there any other movies starring Jake Gyllenhaal similar to “Everest”?
Yes, you might enjoy watching “Jarhead” (2005) and “End of Watch” (2012), both of which feature Gyllenhaal in intense and suspenseful roles.
6. Is “Everest” available in languages other than English?
Yes, the film is available in various languages, including Spanish, French, and German, depending on your Netflix region.
7. Are there any other movies about mountain climbing available on Netflix?
Yes, Netflix offers a range of movies about mountain climbing, such as “Meru” and “Free Solo.”
8. Did any of the actors suffer from altitude sickness during the filming of “Everest”?
Yes, several cast members experienced altitude sickness, including Jason Clarke and Josh Brolin.
9. How long did it take to film “Everest”?
The filming process took approximately 72 days, spread over several months due to the challenging shooting conditions.
10. Are there any other movies directed by Baltasar Kormákur worth watching?
Yes, Kormákur has directed several notable films, including “The Deep” (2012) and “Contraband” (2012).
11. Is “Everest” available in 3D?
Yes, the film was released in 3D in select theaters.
12. Are there any bonus features or behind-the-scenes footage available with the “Everest” DVD?
Yes, the DVD and Blu-ray releases of the film include bonus features like interviews with the cast and crew, as well as a making-of documentary.
13. Can I stream “Everest” on Netflix in all countries?
The availability of “Everest” on Netflix may vary depending on your location. Please check your Netflix library for the most up-to-date information.
14. Are there any other movies based on mountain disasters?
Yes, you might be interested in watching “Vertical Limit” (2000) and “K2” (1991), both of which depict mountaineering disasters.
15. Are there any upcoming movies about mountaineering?
While there are no specific mountaineering movies announced at the moment, the adventure genre continues to evolve, and new films are always in development. Stay tuned for any future announcements.
In conclusion, if you’re a fan of the thrilling adventure portrayed in “Everest,” Netflix offers a variety of movies that will keep your adrenaline pumping. From survival stories to documentaries, these films capture the indomitable human spirit in the face of extreme challenges. So grab your popcorn, sit back, and embark on these exhilarating cinematic journeys.