Movies Like How To Marry A Millionaire: Classic Romantic Comedies
Released in 1953, “How To Marry A Millionaire” is an iconic romantic comedy starring Marilyn Monroe, Betty Grable, and Lauren Bacall. This film, known for its witty dialogue and glamorous setting, has become a classic in the genre. If you are a fan of this beloved movie, here are some other films that you might enjoy, along with some unique facts about “How To Marry A Millionaire.”
1. “Gentlemen Prefer Blondes” (1953) – Marilyn Monroe shines in another delightful romantic comedy. This film follows two showgirls, played by Monroe and Jane Russell, as they embark on a transatlantic cruise in search of love and fortune. With catchy musical numbers and Monroe’s irresistible charm, this movie is a must-watch for fans of “How To Marry A Millionaire.”
2. “The Seven Year Itch” (1955) – Marilyn Monroe once again graces the screen in this comedy about a married man who fantasizes about an affair while his wife is away. Set in New York City during a heatwave, this film is known for the iconic scene of Monroe’s white dress billowing over a subway grate. “The Seven Year Itch” is a cheeky and entertaining watch for fans of Monroe’s comedic talent.
3. “Sabrina” (1954) – This romantic comedy stars Audrey Hepburn, Humphrey Bogart, and William Holden. Hepburn plays the role of Sabrina, a chauffeur’s daughter who falls in love with the wealthy playboy of her family’s employer. Filled with charm and a touch of sophistication, “Sabrina” is a timeless classic that showcases the transformative power of love.
4. “How To Steal a Million” (1966) – If you enjoy the combination of romance and comedy, this film starring Audrey Hepburn and Peter O’Toole is a must-see. Hepburn plays the daughter of an art forger who teams up with a handsome thief to steal a valuable statue from a museum. With its witty banter and delightful chemistry between the leads, “How To Steal a Million” is a delightful caper that will keep you entertained.
5. “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” (1961) – Audrey Hepburn delivers a remarkable performance as Holly Golightly, a free-spirited New York socialite searching for love and meaning. This romantic comedy, based on Truman Capote’s novella, captures the glamour and allure of 1960s New York City. Hepburn’s iconic portrayal of Holly Golightly has made this film an enduring classic.
Unique Facts about “How To Marry A Millionaire”:
1. The movie was the first to be filmed in CinemaScope, a widescreen format that revolutionized the movie industry.
2. The film was shot in Technicolor, which added to its vibrant and visually stunning aesthetic.
3. The three leading ladies, Marilyn Monroe, Betty Grable, and Lauren Bacall, were initially reluctant to star in the film. However, they ultimately agreed and became great friends during the production.
4. The plot of the movie was inspired by the 1933 film “The Greeks Had a Word for Them,” which also revolves around three women seeking wealthy husbands.
5. The film’s success led to the creation of a television series called “How To Marry A Millionaire,” which aired from 1957 to 1959. The series expanded on the movie’s concept and followed the romantic adventures of three young women.
15 FAQs about “How To Marry A Millionaire”:
1. Is “How To Marry A Millionaire” based on a true story?
No, the movie is not based on a true story. It is a fictional romantic comedy.
2. Who directed “How To Marry A Millionaire”?
Jean Negulesco directed the movie.
3. Where was “How To Marry A Millionaire” filmed?
The film was primarily shot in Los Angeles, California.
4. Did Marilyn Monroe sing in the movie?
Yes, Marilyn Monroe showcased her singing talent in the film.
5. Was “How To Marry A Millionaire” a box office success?
Yes, the movie was a commercial success and received positive reviews from critics.
6. How long is the movie?
The runtime of “How To Marry A Millionaire” is approximately 95 minutes.
7. What is the rating of the movie?
The movie is rated PG.
8. Is “How To Marry A Millionaire” available on streaming platforms?
Yes, the movie is available on various streaming platforms such as Amazon Prime and Hulu.
9. Did the three leading ladies get along during the production?
Yes, Marilyn Monroe, Betty Grable, and Lauren Bacall became close friends during the filming of the movie.
10. Were there any sequels to “How To Marry A Millionaire”?
No, there were no direct sequels to the movie. However, a television series inspired by the film was created.
11. Did the movie win any awards?
No, “How To Marry A Millionaire” did not win any major awards. However, it was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Costume Design.
12. Was the film a critical success upon its release?
Yes, the film received positive reviews from critics who praised the performances and the comedic elements.
13. Are there any memorable quotes from “How To Marry A Millionaire”?
Yes, the movie has several memorable quotes, such as “I’ve been rich and I’ve been poor. Believe me, rich is better.”
14. Did the movie influence other romantic comedies?
Yes, “How To Marry A Millionaire” became a significant influence on subsequent romantic comedies, especially those featuring strong female leads.
15. Is “How To Marry A Millionaire” considered a classic?
Yes, the film is widely regarded as a classic romantic comedy due to its enduring popularity and iconic performances.
In conclusion, if you are a fan of “How To Marry A Millionaire,” you will likely enjoy other classic romantic comedies such as “Gentlemen Prefer Blondes,” “The Seven Year Itch,” “Sabrina,” “How To Steal a Million,” and “Breakfast at Tiffany’s.” These films offer captivating storylines, memorable performances, and an abundance of romance and laughter. So grab some popcorn, sit back, and indulge in the timeless charm of these classic movies.