Movies Similar To Pretty In Pink: Revisiting the Iconic 80s Teen Romantic Comedy
Pretty in Pink, released in 1986, is a timeless teen romantic comedy that has captivated audiences for decades. Directed by Howard Deutch and written by John Hughes, the film follows the story of Andie Walsh, a high school girl from a working-class background who falls in love with Blane McDonough, a wealthy boy from the other side of the tracks. As Andie struggles to navigate the complexities of love and social class, Pretty in Pink explores themes of friendship, self-discovery, and the power of staying true to oneself. If you’re a fan of this beloved film, here are some other movies that capture the essence and charm of Pretty in Pink.
1. Sixteen Candles (1984): Another iconic John Hughes film, Sixteen Candles focuses on Samantha Baker, a teenager whose family forgets her sixteenth birthday. As Samantha deals with her family’s neglect, she also grapples with her crush on the popular and unattainable Jake Ryan.
2. Say Anything… (1989): Directed by Cameron Crowe, this 80s classic tells the story of Lloyd Dobler, a lovable underachiever, and his pursuit of Diane Court, a valedictorian who comes from a wealthy family. Like Pretty in Pink, Say Anything… explores the challenges of social class and the power of love to transcend societal expectations.
3. Clueless (1995): This modern-day adaptation of Jane Austen’s Emma transports the story to a Beverly Hills high school. Cher, a wealthy and popular student, takes Tai, a new girl, under her wing. As Cher meddles in Tai’s love life, she begins to question her own romantic choices.
4. Can’t Buy Me Love (1987): In this teen comedy, Ronald Miller, a nerdy high school student, pays the most popular girl in school, Cindy Mancini, to pretend to be his girlfriend for a month. As Ronald gains popularity, he starts to realize the true value of friendship and authentic connections.
5. Dirty Dancing (1987): While not a typical teen romantic comedy, Dirty Dancing shares the themes of forbidden love and societal pressures. Set in the summer of 1963, the film follows Baby, a teenager who falls in love with Johnny Castle, a working-class dance instructor, during a family vacation.
Unique Facts about Pretty in Pink:
1. The film’s original ending was supposed to have Andie end up with Duckie, played by Jon Cryer. However, test audiences preferred Andie to be with Blane, leading to a last-minute change in the final cut.
2. Molly Ringwald, who played Andie, was originally offered the role of Molly in Sixteen Candles. However, she chose to play Andie instead, which became one of her most iconic roles.
3. The film’s iconic prom dress, made by Andie herself, was created by the costume designer Marilyn Vance using three separate dresses.
4. Pretty in Pink was originally titled “The Prom,” but it was changed to its final title after the producers felt that it better captured the essence of the film.
5. The film’s soundtrack, featuring iconic 80s bands like The Psychedelic Furs and OMD, became a commercial success and helped popularize new wave music in the United States.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
1. Is Pretty in Pink based on a true story?
No, Pretty in Pink is a work of fiction written by John Hughes.
2. Did Molly Ringwald choose her own wardrobe for the film?
Molly Ringwald had input in choosing her character’s clothes, but the final decisions were made by the costume designer.
3. Are there any deleted scenes from Pretty in Pink?
Yes, there are several deleted scenes, some of which can be found in the film’s DVD release.
4. Did the film receive any awards or nominations?
While Pretty in Pink did not receive any major awards or nominations, it remains a beloved cult classic.
5. Who composed the film’s score?
The film’s score was composed by Michael Gore.
6. What is the significance of the film’s title?
The title “Pretty in Pink” refers to a line of dialogue in the film and symbolizes the idea of finding beauty and uniqueness in unexpected places.
7. Is there a sequel to Pretty in Pink?
No, there is no official sequel to Pretty in Pink.
8. Where was the film shot?
Pretty in Pink was primarily shot in Los Angeles, California.
9. Did the film have a significant impact on popular culture?
Yes, Pretty in Pink became an iconic film of the 80s and is often referenced in popular culture.
10. Is there a message behind the film?
Pretty in Pink explores themes of self-acceptance, staying true to oneself, and the importance of friendships.
11. Did the film inspire any fashion trends?
Yes, the film’s fashion, particularly Andie’s unique style, influenced 80s fashion trends.
12. What is the age rating of Pretty in Pink?
The film is rated PG-13.
13. Did the film achieve commercial success?
Pretty in Pink was a commercial success, grossing over $40 million worldwide.
14. Are there any notable cameos in the film?
Yes, actor Andrew Dice Clay makes a brief appearance as a bouncer in one scene.
15. Did the film receive positive reviews from critics?
Pretty in Pink received mixed reviews upon its release but has since gained a cult following and is considered a classic of its genre.