Series Like Goliath: Exploring Legal Thrillers on the Small Screen
With its gripping storyline, stellar performances, and intense courtroom drama, Goliath has captivated audiences since its premiere. This legal thriller, created by David E. Kelley and Jonathan Shapiro, follows the life of down-and-out lawyer Billy McBride, played brilliantly by Billy Bob Thornton. As fans eagerly await the next season, we take a look at other series that offer a similar blend of legal intrigue, compelling characters, and thought-provoking narratives.
1. Better Call Saul:
Set in the same universe as Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul serves as a prequel to the events of the hit crime drama series. The show delves into the life of Jimmy McGill, a small-time lawyer who eventually transforms into the morally ambiguous attorney, Saul Goodman. Like Goliath, Better Call Saul explores the complex world of law, showcasing the highs and lows of practicing law while examining the ethical dilemmas faced by its characters.
2. The Good Fight:
A spin-off of the critically acclaimed series The Good Wife, The Good Fight centers around Diane Lockhart, a seasoned lawyer who finds herself navigating the turbulent waters of the Chicago legal world. This drama series tackles current political and social issues while providing an intriguing look into the legal profession. With its sharp writing and stellar cast, The Good Fight is a must-watch for fans of Goliath.
Starring Glenn Close and Rose Byrne, Damages is a legal thriller that keeps viewers on the edge of their seats. The series follows the intense rivalry between high-powered attorney Patty Hewes and her protégée, Ellen Parsons. With its intricate plot twists and strong performances, Damages is a gripping exploration of power, manipulation, and the dark underbelly of the legal world.
Suits offers a unique twist on the legal drama genre by focusing on the world of corporate law. The series follows the story of Mike Ross, a college dropout with a photographic memory, who lands a job at a prestigious law firm despite never attending law school. With its blend of witty banter, engaging characters, and clever legal maneuvering, Suits is a delightful addition to any legal thriller fan’s watchlist.
5. Boston Legal:
Created by the same team behind Goliath, David E. Kelley and Jonathan Shapiro, Boston Legal is a legal dramedy that combines courtroom drama with humor and social commentary. The series follows the eccentric lawyers of the fictional law firm Crane, Poole & Schmidt, as they tackle controversial cases and navigate their personal lives. With its biting wit and stellar ensemble cast, Boston Legal provides a fresh and entertaining take on the legal genre.
1. Goliath was inspired by real-life events: The creators of Goliath drew inspiration from a true story of a lawyer who fought against corporate giants and emerged victorious, despite overwhelming odds.
2. Billy Bob Thornton’s Emmy-winning performance: Thornton’s portrayal of Billy McBride in Goliath earned him critical acclaim and a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series in 2017.
3. Goliath’s exploration of corruption: The series delves into the dark underbelly of corporate corruption, shedding light on the lengths powerful individuals will go to protect their interests.
4. The role of Los Angeles: The city of Los Angeles serves as a character in Goliath, with its sprawling landscapes and corrupt legal system playing a significant role in the storyline.
5. Goliath’s critical acclaim: The series has garnered praise for its exceptional writing, acting, and gripping plotlines, earning several award nominations and a dedicated fanbase.
1. Will there be a season 4 of Goliath?
As of now, Amazon has not officially announced the renewal of Goliath for a fourth season. Fans are eagerly awaiting updates regarding the show’s future.
2. How many episodes are there in each season of Goliath?
Each season of Goliath consists of eight episodes, allowing for a tightly woven narrative and intense storytelling.
3. Can I watch Goliath on any streaming platform other than Amazon Prime Video?
Currently, Goliath is exclusively available to stream on Amazon Prime Video.
4. Is Goliath based on a true story?
While Goliath draws inspiration from real-life events, it is a fictional series with fictional characters.
5. Is Goliath suitable for all audiences?
Goliath is an adult-oriented show that deals with mature themes and contains explicit content. Viewer discretion is advised.
6. Does Goliath have a strong ensemble cast?
Yes, Goliath boasts an impressive ensemble cast, including Billy Bob Thornton, Nina Arianda, Tania Raymonde, and William Hurt.
7. Can I watch Goliath without prior legal knowledge?
Absolutely! Goliath is designed to entertain both legal enthusiasts and casual viewers, offering a captivating story that doesn’t require extensive legal knowledge.
8. Are there any plans for a Goliath spin-off series?
As of now, there have been no official announcements regarding a Goliath spin-off series.
9. How long is each episode of Goliath?
On average, each episode of Goliath has a runtime of about 45 minutes.
10. Does Goliath tackle social issues like other legal dramas?
Yes, Goliath delves into social issues such as corporate greed, environmental degradation, and income inequality.
11. Is Goliath a character-driven series?
Definitely! Goliath places a strong emphasis on character development, allowing viewers to deeply connect with the protagonists and antagonists.
12. Is Goliath a binge-worthy series?
Absolutely! Goliath’s addictive storyline and cliffhanger endings make it perfect for binge-watching.
13. Can I watch Goliath without watching previous seasons?
While each season of Goliath has its own unique storyline, it is recommended to watch from the beginning to fully understand the character arcs and ongoing plotlines.
14. Does Goliath have a satisfying conclusion?
Each season of Goliath provides a satisfying conclusion to its respective storyline, while leaving room for future developments.
15. What sets Goliath apart from other legal thrillers?
Goliath stands out due to its exceptional writing, stellar performances, and its nuanced exploration of corruption within the legal system.