Shows Like The Royals: A Royal Treat for TV Enthusiasts
If you’re a fan of scandal, luxury, and all things royal, then you’ve probably binge-watched the addictive TV series “The Royals” more than once. This captivating show, which premiered in 2015, takes viewers on a rollercoaster ride through the lives of a fictional British royal family. However, if you’ve already devoured all four seasons and are left craving more, fear not! We have compiled a list of shows that are sure to satisfy your craving for regal intrigue and opulence.
1. “Downton Abbey”:
Step back in time with this critically acclaimed British period drama that follows the lives of the aristocratic Crawley family and their servants in the early 20th century. With its elegant settings, complex characters, and compelling storylines, “Downton Abbey” is a must-watch for fans of “The Royals.”
This historical drama series takes us to the court of Mary, Queen of Scots, as she navigates political intrigue, power struggles, and love affairs. “Reign” captures the same sense of opulence and betrayal as “The Royals,” making it a perfect choice for fans of the show.
3. “The Crown”:
If you’re looking for a more factual take on royalty, “The Crown” is the perfect fit. This Netflix original series chronicles the reign of Queen Elizabeth II, from her early years as a newlywed to her present-day rule. With its stunning production value and exceptional performances, “The Crown” offers a captivating glimpse into the lives of the British royals.
Travel back to the 19th century with this historical drama that follows the early years of Queen Victoria’s reign. “Victoria” provides a fascinating insight into the challenges and triumphs of one of Britain’s most iconic monarchs. The show’s lavish sets and compelling storytelling make it a top choice for fans of “The Royals.”
While not explicitly about royalty, “Succession” shares many similarities with “The Royals.” This HBO drama delves into the lives of the wealthy and powerful Roy family as they vie for control of their media conglomerate. With its themes of family dynamics, betrayal, and ambition, “Succession” offers a gripping and addictive narrative that will keep you hooked.
Now, let’s explore some unique facts about “The Royals” that you may not know:
1. Inspired by a play: “The Royals” was initially a play written by Mark Schwahn, the show’s creator. The play, titled “Royals,” caught the attention of E! network executives, who then decided to adapt it into a TV series.
2. Fictitious royal lineage: The show’s fictional royal family, the Henstridge family, is not based on any real-life British monarchy. This creative liberty allowed the writers to craft scandalous storylines without any limitations.
3. Elizabeth Hurley’s regal connection: The role of Queen Helena Henstridge, played by Elizabeth Hurley, holds a special significance. Hurley’s grandmother, Violet Tatham, was a debutante presented at Queen Elizabeth II’s court.
4. A touch of realism: “The Royals” hired a historical consultant, Lady Colin Campbell, to ensure accuracy in royal protocol and traditions portrayed on the show. This attention to detail adds an authentic touch to the series.
5. Royal guest stars: Throughout the series, “The Royals” has welcomed several notable guest stars, including Joan Collins, Gene Simmons, and Elizabeth Hurley’s real-life ex-boyfriend, Hugh Grant. These appearances added an extra layer of star power to the show.
Now, let’s address some frequently asked questions about “The Royals”:
1. Is “The Royals” based on a true story?
No, “The Royals” is a work of fiction and not based on any real-life British royal family.
2. How many seasons of “The Royals” are there?
“The Royals” ran for four seasons from 2015 to 2018, consisting of a total of 40 episodes.
3. Can I watch “The Royals” on any streaming platforms?
Yes, “The Royals” is available for streaming on Amazon Prime Video.
4. Does “The Royals” have a spin-off series?
No, “The Royals” does not have a spin-off series at present.
5. Did “The Royals” win any awards?
“The Royals” received nominations for several awards, including the People’s Choice Awards and Teen Choice Awards, but did not win any major accolades.
6. Is “The Royals” suitable for all ages?
“The Royals” is rated TV-MA due to its adult content, including explicit language, sexual situations, and violence. Viewer discretion is advised.
7. Are there any plans for a revival or continuation of “The Royals”?
As of now, there are no official plans for a revival or continuation of “The Royals.”
8. Can I visit the filming locations of “The Royals”?
Most of the show’s exterior shots were filmed in England, particularly in London and around the countryside.
9. Who is the creator of “The Royals”?
“The Royals” was created by Mark Schwahn, who also served as the showrunner for the series.
10. Are there any Easter eggs or hidden references in “The Royals”?
Yes, the show is known for its hidden references to real-life events and pop culture. Keep an eye out for these subtle nods while watching!
11. Did “The Royals” have a planned ending?
Yes, the series finale of “The Royals” was intended to serve as its conclusion, wrapping up major storylines and providing closure for the characters.
12. Will the cast of “The Royals” reunite for future projects?
While the cast members have pursued various projects since the show ended, there have been no announcements of a reunion project as of yet.
13. Are there any novels or books related to “The Royals”?
No, “The Royals” does not have any official novels or books associated with the show.
14. How would you describe the overall tone of “The Royals”?
“The Royals” has a mix of drama, romance, and scandal, with a healthy dose of dark humor sprinkled throughout.
15. What sets “The Royals” apart from other royal-themed shows?
“The Royals” stands out with its contemporary setting and focus on scandalous storylines, providing a unique twist on the traditional royal drama formula.
In conclusion, if you’re craving more regal drama after devouring “The Royals,” these shows will surely captivate your attention. Whether it’s the historical intrigue of “Downton Abbey” or the scandalous affairs of “Reign,” these series offer a royal treat for TV enthusiasts. And while you’re at it, don’t forget to explore the fascinating world of “The Royals” with its unique facts and intriguing storylines that kept us hooked for four fabulous seasons.