The Mortal Instruments Books In Order: A Journey Through the Shadowhunter World
The Mortal Instruments is a captivating young adult fantasy series written by Cassandra Clare. Set in a world where humans coexist with supernatural beings called Shadowhunters, this thrilling saga takes readers on an exhilarating adventure filled with romance, action, and supernatural mysteries. If you’re new to this captivating series or simply want to relive the magic, here is a comprehensive guide to The Mortal Instruments books in order, along with five unique facts about the series.
The Mortal Instruments Books in Order:
1. City of Bones (2007)
2. City of Ashes (2008)
3. City of Glass (2009)
4. City of Fallen Angels (2011)
5. City of Lost Souls (2012)
6. City of Heavenly Fire (2014)
Five Unique Facts about The Mortal Instruments:
1. Prequel Series: Alongside The Mortal Instruments, Cassandra Clare has also written a prequel series called The Infernal Devices, set in Victorian London. This trilogy explores the lives and adventures of the ancestors of the characters in The Mortal Instruments, shedding light on the history of the Shadowhunter world.
2. TV Adaptation: The Mortal Instruments series was adapted into a television show titled “Shadowhunters” in 2016. Though the show deviates from the books in some aspects, it still garnered a loyal fan base. The TV series aired for three seasons before concluding in 2019.
3. Spin-Off Series: Cassandra Clare expanded the Shadowhunter universe with another series called The Dark Artifices. Set five years after the events of The Mortal Instruments, this trilogy follows a new group of Shadowhunters as they navigate political turmoil and supernatural threats in Los Angeles.
4. Movie Adaptation: In 2013, the first book of The Mortal Instruments series, “City of Bones,” was adapted into a movie starring Lily Collins and Jamie Campbell Bower. Despite having a dedicated fan base, the movie received mixed reviews and plans for further adaptations were canceled. However, the TV adaptation mentioned above was later released, continuing the story in a different format.
5. Collaborative Writing: Cassandra Clare co-wrote the final book of The Mortal Instruments series, “City of Heavenly Fire,” with Sarah Rees Brennan. This collaboration brought a fresh perspective to the series and added depth to the thrilling conclusion.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
1. Are The Mortal Instruments books suitable for all ages?
The Mortal Instruments series is primarily aimed at young adult readers, but it can be enjoyed by readers of all ages.
2. Do I need to read The Infernal Devices before The Mortal Instruments?
No, The Infernal Devices is a prequel series and can be read either before or after The Mortal Instruments. Each series can be enjoyed independently, but reading both enhances the overall experience.
3. Is it necessary to read The Mortal Instruments before starting The Dark Artifices?
While The Dark Artifices can be read as a standalone series, having prior knowledge of The Mortal Instruments enhances your understanding of the Shadowhunter world and its history.
4. Are there any more series set in the Shadowhunter world?
Yes, Cassandra Clare has also written The Bane Chronicles, a collection of short stories centered around the character Magnus Bane, and Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, which focuses on Simon Lewis and his journey as a Shadowhunter.
5. Can I watch the TV show without reading the books?
Yes, the TV show “Shadowhunters” can be enjoyed without having read the books. However, reading the series adds depth and additional context to the story.
6. Will there be more movies based on The Mortal Instruments?
As of now, there are no plans for further movie adaptations of The Mortal Instruments series.
7. How many books are in The Dark Artifices series?
The Dark Artifices is a trilogy consisting of three books: “Lady Midnight,” “Lord of Shadows,” and “Queen of Air and Darkness.”
8. Are there any plans for future books in the Shadowhunter world?
Cassandra Clare has announced a new series called “The Last Hours,” set in Edwardian London, which will continue the Shadowhunter saga.
9. Can I read The Mortal Instruments series in any order?
It is highly recommended to read The Mortal Instruments series in chronological order to fully grasp the character development and overarching plot.
10. Are there any novellas or short stories connected to The Mortal Instruments?
Yes, Cassandra Clare has written several novellas and short stories that complement The Mortal Instruments series. They are available in various collections such as “The Bane Chronicles” and “Ghosts of the Shadow Market.”
11. Is there a specific reading order for all the Shadowhunter books?
Yes, the recommended reading order for the entire Shadowhunter Chronicles is as follows: The Infernal Devices, The Mortal Instruments, The Dark Artifices, The Last Hours, and The Wicked Powers (upcoming series).
12. Are the Shadowhunter books only about vampires?
No, while vampires are one of the supernatural beings in the Shadowhunter world, the series also explores other creatures such as werewolves, faeries, and warlocks.
13. Is there a proper ending to The Mortal Instruments series?
Yes, “City of Heavenly Fire” provides a satisfying conclusion to The Mortal Instruments series, but the world continues to expand with new series and stories.
In conclusion, The Mortal Instruments series provides an enthralling journey through the Shadowhunter world. With a captivating storyline, well-developed characters, and a richly imagined universe, these books are a must-read for fans of fantasy and adventure. Dive into the series today and let Cassandra Clare’s magical world sweep you away.