The Movie Cast of “The Company You Keep”: A Star-Studded Ensemble
“The Company You Keep” is a gripping political thriller directed by Robert Redford, who also stars in the film alongside an exceptional ensemble cast. Released in 2012, the movie tells the story of a former Weather Underground activist who goes on the run when a journalist uncovers his true identity. With its thought-provoking narrative and stellar performances, “The Company You Keep” remains a must-watch for fans of political dramas and suspenseful storytelling. Let’s delve into the talented cast that brings this engaging film to life.
1. Robert Redford as Jim Grant/Nick Sloan: Redford, a legend in the film industry, takes on the dual role of Jim Grant, a small-town lawyer, and Nick Sloan, a former activist. His nuanced portrayal adds depth to the character’s internal struggle between his past and present.
2. Shia LaBeouf as Ben Shepard: LaBeouf delivers a remarkable performance as Ben Shepard, an ambitious young journalist determined to uncover the truth behind Grant’s secret identity. He brings a sense of tenacity and vulnerability to the character.
3. Julie Christie as Mimi Lurie: Christie portrays Mimi Lurie, a former member of the Weather Underground. Her talent shines through as she brings complexity and empathy to a character torn between her past actions and the present consequences they hold.
4. Susan Sarandon as Sharon Solarz: Sarandon’s portrayal of Sharon Solarz, another former activist on the run, is nothing short of captivating. Her performance captures the internal turmoil of a woman haunted by her past deeds.
5. Nick Nolte as Donal Fitzgerald: Nolte plays Donal Fitzgerald, a longtime friend and former comrade of Grant. Nolte’s commanding presence lends weight to the character, highlighting the loyalty and camaraderie shared between the two.
6. Stanley Tucci as Ray Fuller: Tucci steps into the shoes of Ray Fuller, a determined FBI agent hot on the trail of the former activists. His portrayal brings a sense of urgency and determination to the film, heightening the suspense.
7. Chris Cooper as Daniel Sloan: Cooper takes on the role of Daniel Sloan, Grant’s brother, who is unaware of his sibling’s true identity. Cooper’s performance adds emotional depth and complexity to the familial dynamics at play.
8. Terrence Howard as Cornelius: Howard portrays Cornelius, an FBI agent working alongside Tucci’s character. His charisma and screen presence bring an additional layer of intrigue to the story.
9. Anna Kendrick as Diana: Kendrick’s portrayal of Diana, Ben Shepard’s colleague, injects the film with a touch of youthful energy. Her character provides a contrasting perspective to the older, more experienced activists.
10. Brendan Gleeson as Henry Osborne: Gleeson plays Henry Osborne, a retired police officer who becomes involved in the search for Grant. Gleeson’s performance adds a layer of moral ambiguity to the film, blurring the lines between right and wrong.
11. Brit Marling as Rebecca Osborne: Marling shines as Rebecca Osborne, Henry’s daughter and Ben Shepard’s love interest. Her character brings a sense of compassion and understanding to the narrative.
12. Richard Jenkins as Jed Lewis: Jenkins portrays Jed Lewis, a lawyer and Grant’s close friend. His performance showcases the complexities of friendship and loyalty in the face of adversity.
13. Sam Elliott as Mac McLeod: Elliott’s portrayal of Mac McLeod, a former Weather Underground member, adds gravity and wisdom to the film. His character’s experiences serve as a reminder of the lasting impact of past actions.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Is “The Company You Keep” based on a true story?
No, the film is a work of fiction, but it draws inspiration from real events and the political climate of the 1960s and 1970s.
2. What is the significance of the film’s title?
“The Company You Keep” refers to the idea that one’s associations can have lasting consequences, particularly when linked to political activism.
3. Is this movie suitable for all age groups?
The film is rated R for language and some violence, so parental guidance is advised for younger viewers.
4. How does Robert Redford fare as both actor and director?
Redford’s talents shine in both aspects of the film. His direction brings out stellar performances from the cast, including himself.
5. Are there any memorable scenes in the movie?
The film is filled with gripping scenes, but the final confrontation between Grant and Shepard is particularly memorable.
6. Does the film explore both sides of the political spectrum?
While the movie primarily focuses on the activists’ perspectives, it does touch on the opposing viewpoints through the character of Ray Fuller.
7. Is “The Company You Keep” fast-paced?
The film balances suspenseful moments with quieter, introspective scenes, creating a well-paced narrative.
8. How does the movie address themes of redemption and responsibility?
The story delves into the characters’ struggles with their past actions and the consequences they face in the present, exploring the themes of redemption and personal responsibility.
9. Does the film have a satisfying conclusion?
The ending offers closure while leaving room for interpretation and reflection.
10. Are there any standout performances in the cast?
Each actor delivers exceptional performances, but Robert Redford, Julie Christie, and Shia LaBeouf’s portrayals are particularly noteworthy.
11. Does “The Company You Keep” accurately represent the political climate of the 1960s and 1970s?
While the film is fictional, it captures the spirit of the era and the turbulence of the time.
12. Is there a strong emotional core to the story?
Yes, the film explores complex emotions such as guilt, regret, and the search for personal identity.
13. What makes “The Company You Keep” a must-watch?
The movie’s stellar cast, thought-provoking narrative, and exploration of political activism make it an engaging and memorable viewing experience.