The Rose Movie: The Movie Cast Plus 5 Unique Facts
“The Rose” is a timeless classic that has captivated audiences since its release in 1979. This musical drama, directed by Mark Rydell, tells the tragic story of a rock star named Mary Rose Foster, played by the incomparable Bette Midler. Let’s delve into the movie’s cast and explore five unique facts about this unforgettable film.
1. The Cast:
– Bette Midler as Mary Rose Foster: Bette Midler’s performance as the troubled rock star is nothing short of extraordinary. Her portrayal of Mary Rose Foster earned her a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Actress.
– Alan Bates as Rudge Campbell: Alan Bates delivers a powerful performance as Mary’s manager and lover, Rudge Campbell. His chemistry with Midler is palpable, adding depth and complexity to their relationship on screen.
– Frederic Forrest as Huston Dyer: Frederic Forrest portrays Huston Dyer, a chauffeur who becomes romantically involved with Mary. His character brings a sense of stability and emotional support to Mary’s tumultuous life.
– Harry Dean Stanton as Billy Ray: Harry Dean Stanton plays Billy Ray, Mary’s bandmate and close friend. Stanton’s portrayal of the loyal and compassionate Billy Ray adds a touch of warmth to the film.
– David Keith as Pfc. Mal: David Keith plays Pfc. Mal, a young soldier who becomes infatuated with Mary. His character represents the adoration and obsession that fans often develop for their idols.
2. Unique Facts:
– Bette Midler’s Breakthrough Role: “The Rose” marked Bette Midler’s breakout role in the film industry. Her sensational performance not only garnered critical acclaim but also solidified her status as a multitalented entertainer.
– Inspired by Janis Joplin: The character of Mary Rose Foster is loosely based on the life and career of Janis Joplin, one of the greatest rock singers of all time. Joplin’s tragic story served as an inspiration for the film’s narrative.
– Bette Midler’s Singing: In addition to acting, Bette Midler’s remarkable singing voice shines throughout the movie. Her powerful renditions of iconic songs like “Stay with Me” and “The Rose” became instant classics.
– Real Concert Footage: To capture the authenticity of a live concert, the film incorporated real footage of Bette Midler performing at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium. This seamless blend of fiction and reality enhances the film’s immersive experience.
– Critical and Commercial Success: “The Rose” received widespread acclaim from critics and audiences alike. It grossed over $29 million at the box office, becoming one of the highest-grossing films of 1979.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
1. Is “The Rose” based on a true story?
No, the movie is not based on a true story. However, it draws inspiration from the life and career of Janis Joplin.
2. Did Bette Midler perform all the songs in the film?
Yes, Bette Midler performed all the songs in the film, showcasing her incredible vocal range and talent.
3. Was Bette Midler nominated for any awards for her role in “The Rose”?
Yes, Bette Midler received an Academy Award nomination for Best Actress for her performance in the film.
4. Who directed “The Rose”?
“The Rose” was directed by Mark Rydell, known for his work in both film and theater.
5. Where was “The Rose” filmed?
The film was primarily shot in Los Angeles, California, capturing the essence of the rock music scene of the time.
6. Are there any deleted scenes from “The Rose”?
Yes, there are a few deleted scenes from the film, including additional concert footage and character development moments.
7. Did Bette Midler win any awards for her singing in “The Rose”?
Although Bette Midler didn’t win any awards specifically for her singing in “The Rose,” her performances in the film contributed to her immense popularity as a singer.
8. What is the significance of the title “The Rose”?
“The Rose” refers to a song that serves as a central theme in the film and represents the struggles and sacrifices of fame.
9. Is the soundtrack of “The Rose” available?
Yes, the soundtrack of “The Rose” is available and features Bette Midler’s stunning renditions of various songs from the film.
10. Does “The Rose” have a happy ending?
No, “The Rose” is a tragic story that explores the dark side of fame and the toll it takes on the protagonist.
11. How long is “The Rose”?
The film has a runtime of approximately 125 minutes.
12. Did Bette Midler receive any recognition for her singing career after “The Rose”?
Yes, Bette Midler’s success in “The Rose” propelled her singing career to new heights, leading to numerous awards and accolades.
13. Is “The Rose” suitable for all ages?
Given its mature themes and content, “The Rose” is generally recommended for mature audiences. Parental guidance is advised.