What Does the Bible Say About Watching Bad Things?
In today’s modern world, we are constantly bombarded with various forms of media, from television shows and movies to online content. With such easy access to a wide range of content, it is essential to consider what the Bible says about watching bad things. As believers, it is crucial to align our actions with God’s word and seek His guidance in every aspect of our lives, including our entertainment choices.
The Bible encourages us to fill our minds with things that are pure, noble, and praiseworthy. In Philippians 4:8, the apostle Paul writes, “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.” This verse reminds us to be discerning about what we allow into our minds and hearts.
While the Bible does not specifically mention watching bad things, it provides principles that can guide our choices. Here are five interesting facts to consider:
1. Guarding Our Hearts: Proverbs 4:23 advises us to guard our hearts diligently, for out of it flow the springs of life. What we watch can influence our thoughts, emotions, and attitudes, which ultimately affects our actions and relationships.
2. Avoiding Temptation: Jesus teaches us to pray, “Lead us not into temptation” in Matthew 6:13. By choosing not to expose ourselves to content that promotes sinful behavior or thoughts, we can actively avoid being tempted.
3. Being Holy: In 1 Peter 1:15-16, we are called to be holy, just as God is holy. This means striving to live a life that is set apart, distinct from the world. Our entertainment choices should reflect this desire for godliness.
4. Honoring God: Colossians 3:17 reminds us to do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him. Our entertainment choices are no exception; we should honor God in all that we watch and engage with.
5. Seeking Wisdom: Proverbs 2:6 tells us that the Lord gives wisdom and understanding. As we seek His guidance through prayer and studying His word, we can gain wisdom to discern what is good and what is not.
Now, let’s explore some interesting questions about this topic:
1. Can watching bad things affect our spiritual growth?
Yes, what we watch can influence our thoughts, emotions, and actions, potentially hindering our spiritual growth.
2. How can we discern what is considered “bad” to watch?
We can use the principles outlined in Philippians 4:8 as a guide. If something is impure, unwholesome, or promotes sinful behavior, it is best to avoid it.
3. Is it okay to watch movies or shows that contain violence or explicit content?
While the Bible does not explicitly forbid watching such content, it is essential to consider how it may impact our thoughts and emotions. If it causes us to stumble or go against God’s principles, it is best to abstain.
4. What about educational or historical films that include violence or explicit scenes?
While educational or historical films may provide valuable insights, it is crucial to weigh the benefits against the potential negative impact on our hearts and minds. Seek wisdom and discernment in making such choices.
5. Are there any exceptions when it comes to watching “bad” things?
Each person’s convictions and sensitivity may differ. However, as believers, it is crucial to prioritize living a life that glorifies God and reflects our commitment to Him.
6. Can watching bad things desensitize us to sin?
Yes, repeated exposure to sinful content can desensitize us to its negative effects and make us more susceptible to engaging in sinful behavior ourselves.
7. How can we resist the temptation to watch bad things?
By staying close to God, seeking His guidance, and surrounding ourselves with like-minded believers who can hold us accountable, we can resist the temptation to watch bad things.
8. What role does prayer play in making entertainment choices?
Prayer allows us to seek God’s wisdom and discernment in making entertainment choices that align with His will. It also helps us resist temptation and stay focused on living a life that pleases Him.
9. Should we avoid all secular media?
Not all secular media is inherently bad. However, it is essential to exercise discernment and filter what we consume, ensuring it aligns with biblical principles.
10. How can we encourage others to make wise entertainment choices?
By setting an example through our own choices, engaging in open and respectful discussions, and offering guidance based on biblical principles, we can encourage others to make wise entertainment choices.
11. Can watching bad things affect our relationships with others?
Yes, watching bad things can influence our attitudes, behaviors, and the way we interact with others. It is important to prioritize healthy and edifying relationships.
12. Is it a sin to watch bad things?
While watching bad things may not always be classified as a direct sin, it is essential to consider the impact it may have on our spiritual well-being and relationship with God.
13. How can we find alternative forms of entertainment that honor God?
There are many wholesome and uplifting forms of entertainment available, such as inspirational movies, documentaries, or engaging in hobbies that cultivate our spiritual growth and bring glory to God.
In conclusion, the Bible encourages us to be discerning in our entertainment choices, filling our hearts and minds with things that are pure and praiseworthy. By seeking God’s wisdom and guidance, we can make choices that honor Him and contribute to our spiritual growth. Let us remember to guard our hearts diligently and prioritize a life that reflects our commitment to God in all aspects, including the media we consume.