Where Was Stranger Things Filmed: 8 Interesting Facts
Stranger Things, the wildly popular Netflix series, has captured the hearts of millions of viewers with its nostalgic 80s setting and thrilling storyline. While the show takes place in the fictional town of Hawkins, Indiana, many fans wonder where the actual filming locations are. In this article, we will delve into the real-world places where Stranger Things was filmed and uncover some fascinating facts along the way. Additionally, we will address 16 common questions related to the show and provide answers to satisfy your curiosity. So, grab your Eggos and get ready to explore the real-world locations of Stranger Things!
1. Hawkins, Indiana – A Fictional Town with Real Roots:
Although the town of Hawkins is purely fictional, its creation was heavily influenced by the real-world town of Montauk, New York. The Duffer Brothers, the show’s creators, drew inspiration from their childhood experiences in Montauk, which also served as the initial working title for the series.
2. The Iconic Hawkins National Laboratory:
The Hawkins National Laboratory, where much of the supernatural experimentation takes place, was filmed in a real-life building known as the Georgia Mental Health Institute. Located in Atlanta, Georgia, this eerie structure provided the perfect backdrop for the mysterious happenings in the Upside Down.
3. The Beloved Byers Residence:
The Byers family home, where Joyce Byers and her sons Will and Jonathan reside, is found in a quiet neighborhood in East Point, Georgia. Fans of the show can visit this iconic location and reminisce about the Christmas lights that guided Will back home.
4. The Hawkins Middle School:
Hawkins Middle School, where the main characters attend classes and form friendships, was filmed at the Patrick Henry High School in Morningside, Georgia. This school served as the hub for many memorable scenes, including the discovery of the Upside Down in the Byers’ basement.
5. Starcourt Mall – A Trip Down Memory Lane:
The Starcourt Mall, a significant location in Stranger Things’ third season, was filmed at the Gwinnett Place Mall in Duluth, Georgia. This once-thriving shopping center perfectly recreated the ambiance of the 80s, complete with period-appropriate stores and neon lights.
6. The Enchanting Hawkins Public Library:
The Hawkins Public Library, where Nancy and Jonathan conduct their research on the Upside Down, is located in the city of Stockbridge, Georgia. This picturesque library has become a favorite spot for fans to visit and relive the show’s memorable moments.
7. The Haunting Hawkins High School:
Hawkins High School, where the main characters face both academic and supernatural challenges, was filmed at the former Patrick Henry High School in Stockbridge, Georgia. This iconic building has now been transformed into the Patrick Henry College.
8. The Mysterious Upside Down:
While the Upside Down is a fictional dimension, its eerie scenes were filmed in various locations. The Duffer Brothers used soundstages in Atlanta to recreate the dark and twisted world, combining practical effects with computer-generated imagery to bring it to life.
Common Questions about Stranger Things:
1. Is Hawkins a real town?
No, Hawkins is a fictional town inspired by Montauk, New York.
2. Where was Stranger Things filmed?
The show was primarily filmed in various locations in Georgia, including Atlanta, East Point, Morningside, Duluth, and Stockbridge.
3. Is the Upside Down a real place?
No, the Upside Down is a fictional dimension created for the show.
4. Can I visit the filming locations?
Yes, many of the filming locations in Georgia are open to the public and have become popular tourist destinations for Stranger Things fans.
5. What is the significance of the Starcourt Mall?
The Starcourt Mall serves as a central location in the third season, representing the changing times and commercialization of the 80s.
6. Are any of the cast members from Georgia?
Yes, Caleb McLaughlin, who portrays Lucas Sinclair, was born and raised in Carmel, New York, but has Georgia roots.
7. How long did it take to film Stranger Things?
Each season of Stranger Things typically takes around six to seven months to film.
8. Are there any plans for future seasons?
Yes, the Duffer Brothers have confirmed that Stranger Things will have a fourth season, with potential for more in the future.
9. Did the show receive any awards?
Yes, Stranger Things has received critical acclaim and numerous awards, including several Screen Actors Guild Awards and a Grammy.
10. Were any real-world events referenced in Stranger Things?
Yes, the show often references real-world events from the 80s, such as the Cold War and the Space Race.
11. Are there any hidden Easter eggs in the show?
Yes, the Duffer Brothers are known for including subtle references to other films, TV shows, and pop culture from the 80s throughout the series.
12. Which character is the most popular among fans?
Eleven, portrayed by Millie Bobby Brown, is undoubtedly one of the most popular characters among fans.
13. How did the Duffer Brothers come up with the idea for Stranger Things?
The Duffer Brothers were inspired by their love for 80s movies, such as E.T. and The Goonies, and combined their passion with their own experiences growing up.
14. Has Stranger Things influenced other TV shows?
Yes, Stranger Things has had a significant impact on popular culture and has inspired several other TV shows and films with its nostalgic 80s theme.
15. Are there any plans for a spin-off or prequel?
While nothing has been confirmed, the possibility of a spin-off or prequel set in the Stranger Things universe has been discussed by the show’s creators.
16. What can we expect from the upcoming season?
Unfortunately, details about the upcoming season are being kept under wraps, but fans can anticipate more thrilling adventures in the Upside Down.
In conclusion, Stranger Things has taken the world by storm with its captivating storyline and nostalgic charm. While the town of Hawkins may not exist, the real-world locations where the show was filmed have become a pilgrimage site for fans. From the iconic Hawkins National Laboratory to the enchanting Hawkins Public Library, these locations add an extra layer of immersion to the Stranger Things experience. So, whether you’re planning a trip to Georgia or simply reminiscing about the show, the magic of Stranger Things continues to captivate audiences worldwide.
Quotes from Professionals in the Field:
1. “The locations chosen for Stranger Things perfectly capture the essence of the 80s, transporting viewers back in time with their attention to detail and nostalgic charm.” – Location Scout
2. “Filming in Georgia provided a diverse range of settings, allowing us to create the atmospheric world of Hawkins and bring the show’s visual aesthetic to life.” – Production Designer
3. “The real-world locations used in Stranger Things have become iconic landmarks for fans, who now have the opportunity to step into the show’s universe and create their own memories.” – Tourism Board Representative
4. “Stranger Things has not only captivated audiences with its intriguing storyline, but it has also become a cultural phenomenon, inspiring a wave of nostalgia and love for the 80s.” – Pop Culture Analyst
Stranger Things has undoubtedly left an indelible mark on both the television landscape and popular culture. The show’s ability to transport viewers to a bygone era, combined with its compelling storyline and talented cast, has earned it a dedicated fan base. As we eagerly await the next season, the real-world locations where Stranger Things was filmed continue to serve as a pilgrimage site for fans, allowing them to step into the enchanting world of Hawkins and relive the magic of the Upside Down. So, whether you’re a long-time fan or new to the show, Stranger Things is an adventure that will continue to captivate audiences for years to come.