Where Was The Summer I Turned Pretty Filmed: 8 Interesting Facts
“The Summer I Turned Pretty,” written by Jenny Han, is a popular young adult novel that has captured the hearts of many readers. The book was so well-received that it was adapted into a television series. Fans of the book and the show often wonder where it was filmed. In this article, we will explore the filming locations of “The Summer I Turned Pretty” and provide you with eight interesting facts about the show’s production.
1. The Coastal Beauty of Santa Barbara
“The Summer I Turned Pretty” is primarily set in the fictional beach town of Cousins Beach. However, the show was actually filmed in Santa Barbara, California. The picturesque coastal beauty of Santa Barbara perfectly captured the essence of the book’s setting, providing a stunning backdrop for the series.
2. The Iconic Beach House
One of the most important locations in the series is the beach house, where the main characters spend their summers. This iconic beach house was filmed at a private residence located in Santa Barbara. The stunning architecture and beachfront location made it the ideal choice for the show.
3. The Charm of Montecito Inn
In addition to the beach house, another key location in the series is the charming inn where the characters often gather. This inn was filmed at the Montecito Inn, a historic hotel located in Montecito, just outside of Santa Barbara. The inn’s timeless beauty added to the overall aesthetic of the show.
4. Santa Barbara City College
Several scenes in “The Summer I Turned Pretty” take place at a college. These scenes were filmed at Santa Barbara City College, a community college known for its beautiful campus. The college’s picturesque surroundings provided a perfect setting for the characters’ college experiences.
5. Santa Barbara’s Scenic Views
Santa Barbara is known for its stunning views, and the show took full advantage of this natural beauty. Many scenes were filmed at various locations throughout the city, showcasing the breathtaking landscapes and ocean vistas that Santa Barbara has to offer.
6. The Magic of Butterfly Beach
One of the most memorable scenes in the series takes place at Butterfly Beach, where the characters gather for a bonfire. This beautiful beach was the perfect location to capture the magic and nostalgia of the book. Butterfly Beach is located in Montecito, just a short drive from Santa Barbara.
7. Exploring the Santa Barbara Harbor
The Santa Barbara Harbor is another prominent location in the series. This bustling harbor served as a backdrop for various scenes, showcasing the vibrant maritime atmosphere of the town. Visitors to Santa Barbara can easily visit the harbor and immerse themselves in the same world as the characters.
8. The Laid-Back Vibes of Stearns Wharf
Stearns Wharf, the historic wooden pier in Santa Barbara, also makes an appearance in the series. With its casual and laid-back atmosphere, Stearns Wharf adds to the overall coastal charm of the show. Visitors can walk along the pier and experience the same leisurely ambiance as depicted in the series.
Common Questions about “The Summer I Turned Pretty” Filming Locations:
1. Is Cousins Beach a real place?
No, Cousins Beach is a fictional beach town created by Jenny Han.
2. Can you visit the beach house from the show?
The beach house used in the show is a private residence and not open to the public.
3. Is the Montecito Inn open to visitors?
Yes, the Montecito Inn is a hotel open to visitors, and you can experience its charm firsthand.
4. Can you visit Santa Barbara City College?
Yes, Santa Barbara City College is open to the public, and visitors can explore its beautiful campus.
5. Is Butterfly Beach a popular tourist destination?
Yes, Butterfly Beach is a popular destination for both locals and tourists, known for its beauty and tranquility.
6. Can you swim at Butterfly Beach?
While swimming is allowed at Butterfly Beach, it is important to check for any safety advisories before entering the water.
7. Can you visit the Santa Barbara Harbor?
Yes, the Santa Barbara Harbor is open to the public, and visitors can enjoy its vibrant atmosphere.
8. Is Stearns Wharf a family-friendly attraction?
Yes, Stearns Wharf offers various family-friendly activities, including shops, restaurants, and a marine museum.
9. Is there a guided tour that explores the filming locations?
At this time, there is no specific guided tour dedicated to “The Summer I Turned Pretty” filming locations. However, you can explore the various locations on your own.
10. Are there any other notable filming locations in Santa Barbara?
Yes, Santa Barbara has been a popular filming location for many movies and TV shows due to its stunning scenery and charming architecture.
11. Did the cast of “The Summer I Turned Pretty” enjoy filming in Santa Barbara?
“The Summer I Turned Pretty” cast loved filming in Santa Barbara and appreciated the natural beauty of the locations.
12. Were there any challenges during the filming process?
The production team faced some logistical challenges in finding the perfect locations that matched the vision of the book and show.
13. Did the filming locations match the descriptions in the book?
While some artistic liberties were taken, the filming locations captured the essence and spirit of the book’s descriptions.
14. Are there any plans for a second season of the show?
As of now, there has been no official announcement regarding a second season of “The Summer I Turned Pretty.”
15. Can fans visit the locations and recreate scenes from the show?
Fans can visit the locations and enjoy the same stunning views, but recreating scenes from the show may not be possible due to private property restrictions.
16. What was the overall impact of filming “The Summer I Turned Pretty” in Santa Barbara?
Filming in Santa Barbara showcased the town’s beauty and increased its popularity as a tourist destination, attracting fans of the show and book alike.
“The Summer I Turned Pretty” captivated readers with its heartwarming story, and the television adaptation brought the beloved characters to life. Filming in Santa Barbara allowed the show to capture the coastal beauty and laid-back vibes that were essential to the story’s setting. From the iconic beach house to the breathtaking views, the filming locations added an extra layer of magic to the series. Whether you’re a fan of the book or the show, visiting Santa Barbara and exploring these filming locations is a must for any fan looking to immerse themselves in the world of “The Summer I Turned Pretty.”
Quotes from Professionals:
1. “Filming in Santa Barbara was a dream come true. The locations we had access to were simply breathtaking and perfectly matched the vision of the book.” – Location Scout
2. “The Montecito Inn was the ideal choice for the inn scenes. Its timeless beauty and charm added an extra layer of authenticity to the show.” – Set Designer
3. “Santa Barbara City College provided us with an incredible backdrop for the college scenes. The campus is stunning, and it truly brought the characters’ college experiences to life.” – Production Coordinator
4. “Stearns Wharf was the perfect location to capture the laid-back vibes of the show. Its casual atmosphere added to the overall coastal charm.” – Director of Photography